Date:      Sat, 23 May 1998 01:43:32 +0200
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
To:        "Ron 'The Insane One' Rosson" <insane@oneinsane.net>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problem resolutions...

On Fri, May 22, 1998 at 03:53:49PM -0700, Ron 'The Insane One' Rosson wrote:
> Well,
>   to put in plainly this is the understanding I have of cvsup/updating
> the system:
>
> 1. Cvsup
> 2. make world
> 3. config <kernal name>
> 4. make depend
> 5. make
> 6. make install
> 7. sync
> 8. sync
> 9. shutdown -r now
>
> This has always worked for me and nevr failed. So if I am doing something
> wrong I would like to know.

No, it should be fine (except you don't need point 8.).  You have a
tiny window of vulnerabilty between 3 and 6, but it is difficult to
avoid.  You could use the newly built tools to build a kernel before
installing anything, but I wouldn't bother.

Eivind, who doesn't use 'world' much - 'make && make install' is much
faster :-)