Date:      Fri, 29 Jun 2001 10:00:19 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: misc/28522: The ability to crash any freebsd box with 8 lines of shell script

The following reply was made to PR misc/28522; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
To: Ryan Malek <squirl@exotica.mach3ww.com>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 17:54:34 +0100

 On Fri, Jun 29, 2001 at 09:11:32AM -0700, Ryan Malek wrote:
 > I wrote a small paper documenting this problem.  I _think_ its quite a serious problem considering the fact that I can drop any FreeBSD box with 7 or 8 lines of shell scripting.  Here is the paper I wrote on it:
 >
 > http://exotica.mach3ww.com/~squirl/devzero-vuln.txt

 You seem to have rediscovered the fork bomb - if the admin has
 suitable process limits set then this shouldn't be a problem.  Try
 saying "limit maxproc 10" and running the catbomb, you should find
 it is less effective.

 (I'll close the PR unless there is more to the problem than this).

 	David.