Date:      Thu, 14 Dec 2000 18:13:01 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>, Ilya Martynov <m_ilya@agava.com>, gad@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        apsfilter-current@apsfilter.org, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
Subject:   Re: printer spooldirs wrong owner ?? (was Re: Fixes for apsfilter-current-09.12.2000 (printing via smbclient) )

At 8:06 AM +0100 12/14/00, Andreas Klemm wrote:
>On Wed, Dec 13, 2000 at 03:35:51PM +0300, Ilya Martynov wrote:
>  > P.S. I forgot about another problem I meet while setting up
>  > printing. SETUP creates smbclient.conf that is not readble
>  > by lpd. For me it was created as:
>  >
>>  -rw-------  1 root  daemon  156 Dec 12 16:41 smbclient.conf
>>
>>  to make printing work I had to chmod g+r on it.
>
>I think this is an inconsistency in FreeBSD ...
>
>The filterscript (forked by llpd) runs under permissions
>daemon.wheel, but the spooldirs in FreeBSD by default are
>created with permissions root.daemon.
>
>I think this could easily be fixed, if you would
>	chown -R dameon.wheel /var/spool/lpd
>and during apsfilter SETUP you should take care that owner
>and  group are now setup right to match daemon.wheel.
>
>[ Cc'd to freebsd-stable ]
>
>What do the lpd maintaining authorities in FreeBSD say ?

I haven't thought about permissions enough to say I have a
strong opinion on it, but my gut-level feeling is that the
spool directories are created with the right owner+group
(ie, root+daemon).

What I don't understand here is what that has to do with
smbclient.conf.  Which is to say, I don't do any samba
work, so I am not familiar with what creates that file,
or why that file is root:daemon and permitted 600.  If
the reported problem is solved by changing the permission
bits to 640, then why go with an alternate solution which
chown's and chgrp's the entire directory?

I don't know what Garrett thinks about the permissions,
but I think I need to learn a little more before I have a
good idea of what is the best way to solve this situation.

(also I must apologize for being so quiet lately, but
we have two new plotters here which are not working right,
and I've been putting a lot of hours on those trying to
isolate just exactly what is causing them to die...  It
has been very frustrating)