Date:      Fri, 15 Dec 2000 11:59:48 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>
Cc:        security-officer@freebsd.org, audit@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: audit patches need reviewing/committing

On Thu, 14 Dec 2000 19:15:11 EST, Will Andrews wrote:

> So, I guess my question is this: is auditing a priority of the SO team
> at all?  If so, someone should be appointed to the team that can be
> relied on for proper reviews/commits & such, or someone should be picked
> from the current time to perform this "duty".  :-)

One thing that this group has going for it is enthusiasm.  The
downside is that not every individual has the clue to match his or her
enthusiasm.

I don't see this as a problem.

I would suggest that the primarily enthusiastic folks send patches to
this list for comment.  I think that the primarily clueful folks should,
when pressed for time, limit themselves to commentary on those patches.

In this way, the clue is disseminated and the primarily enthusiastic
develop clue.  It's an organic process, but one that I think will be
very successful.  It's already happening to some degree, in fact.

Please don't take my comments as any kind of insult.  I put myself
squarely in the "mostly enthusiastic and only marginally clueful"
category, so I'm certainly not "talking down" at anyone.

Ciao,
Sheldon.