Date:      Sat, 22 Jun 2002 11:23:14 -0600
From:      Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon@orthanc.ab.ca>
To:        twig les <twigles@yahoo.com>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Possible security liability: Filling disks with junk or spam

>>>>> "twig" == twig les <twigles@yahoo.com> writes:

    twig> When I asked if it would break something to forward those
    twig> accounts' mail to /dev/null instead of root, I meant: do those
    twig> psuedo-users actually send anything via mail or everything via
    twig> syslog?

In the case of UUCP and news, if you are running either of those
subsystems the system will send legitimate mail to those logins, so you
should be reading them. OTOH, if you don't run UUCP or news, you can
reject mail to those accounts.

Note that most Usenet software packages have a configurable target for
emailed status reports, so you can have them mail directly to another
address (say, root) if you like. Also, messages about the news subsystem
are traditionally sent to usenet@, and not news@.  On UNIX systems, the
usenet address almost always exists only as an entry in the mail alias
file. If you run news, both usenet@ and news@ should be redirected to a
mailbox that is read regularly.

--lyndon