Date:      Fri, 25 Dec 1998 22:00:24 -0500 (EST)
From:      Brian Feldman <green@unixhelp.org>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: revoke of fifos

On Fri, 25 Dec 1998, Bruce Evans wrote:

> >revoke(2) on VFIFO types is broken now, leading to stranded mbuf's. I suppose
>
> I don't think it has ever worked in BSD.

Nor should it need to since, according to revoke.2:
     Access to a file may be revoked only by its owner or the super user.  The
     revoke() function is currently supported only for block and character
     special device files.

> >bde is tracking this down, but for now, why don't we return EINVAL in revoke(2)?
>
> I thought it wasn't urgent because I thought that only root could revoke :-(.

Nope. Also, to keep in accordance with the manpage, look at the code in -STABLE,
which actually seems to be correct:

        vp = nd.ni_vp;
        if (vp->v_type != VCHR && vp->v_type != VBLK) {
                error = EINVAL;
                goto out;
        }
        error = VOP_GETATTR(vp, &vattr, p->p_ucred, p);

> Bruce

 Brian Feldman						  _ __  ___ ___ ___
 green@unixhelp.org				      _ __ ___ | _ ) __|   \
		      http://www.freebsd.org/	 _ __ ___ ____ | _ \__ \ |) |