Date:      Wed, 13 Aug 1997 11:31:21 +0900 (JST)
From:      grog@lemis.com
To:        vas@vas.tsu.tomsk.su
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD Questions)
Subject:   Re: having problems adding hard drives

Victor Sudakov writes:
> Greg Lehey wrote:
>> In any case, I have now taken a look at Doug White's tutorial
>> (http://resnet.uoregon.edu/dwhite/makedisk.html), which explains how
>> to use sysinstall to do the job.  Have you seen this tutorial?  If so,
>> what problems did you have with it?  If not, it could be that you
>> would have had more success with this method.  Does anybody else have
>> any comments on the relative usability of the two methods?
>
> I think this is also an ideological question. In my opinion, a good unix
> admin should not become dependent on tools which vary from system to system.
> I believe the disktab method would work in any unix while the sysintall
> method would work only in FreeBSD. You may be very skilled in using
> sysinstall, but you may feel helpless if you change your job.

Well, don't get the impression that the disktab approach is that
portable.  Take a look at Nemeth et al for the gory details: just
about every vendor does his own things nowadays.  And it's really
painful on FreeBSD due to the differing opinions about geometry that
each tool supplies--something that could be improved.

I make no bones about it: give me a properly functioning sysinstall
approach, and I'll take it every time.  And I work on lots of
different systems.

Greg