Date:      Tue, 2 Jan 2001 18:45:44 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Forrest W. Christian" <forrestc@imach.com>
To:        Mike <mike@mikesweb.com>
Cc:        Bill Fumerola <billf@mu.org>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2 cisco's and a fbsd box running bgp

This is really off-topic.   If I have to reply to this, I'll take it
off-list.

On Tue, 2 Jan 2001, Mike wrote:

> Why do you suggest going with the 3640? I'm just going for opinions from
> all angles.
> The main reason I am shying away from buying a 3640 is because in the 3rd
> or 4th quarter, we will be getting a 7200 series router, and the 3640 would
> just be sitting in the closest next to the 2501 and the 2610.

Take a good strong look at the 3662.   Compare it with what the 7200 you
will be buying will a) cost and b) do.   The performance difference in
packets-per-second processing is not even an order of mangatude
different.  If you get the 3662 now, you probably won't need the 7200
unless you're talking about a lot more bandwidth, at which point
you probably need something other than the 7200.   I'm currently using a
3662 taking 3 BGP4 views (around 100k routes), 3 Full T1s upstream, A full
ATM T1 for ADSL customers, and a whole slew of other customers on the
ethernet interfaces.  It's not even breaking a sweat.  We plan on putting
a couple of Fractional DS3's (or ATM OC3's) into it later this year.

On the other hand the FreeBSD route is cheap (except the T1 interface
cards) but should get you through for a while...

- Forrest W. Christian (forrestc@imach.com) AC7DE