Date:      Thu, 14 Nov 1996 21:45:42 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Oliver Oberdorf <oly@head-cfa.harvard.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PCMCIA question and ports question

On Thu, 14 Nov 1996, Oliver Oberdorf wrote:

>     I use a laptop with a PCMCIA SCSI card to access
>     my CD-ROM drive.  Currently, this means that I
>     download a PCMCIA-ready installation floppy from
>     Tatsumi Hosokawa at
>
>     http://www.mt.cs.keio.ac.jp/person/hosokawa/PAO/

Thanks for posting that!  I think it's going to save my bacon on a Gateway
2000 Solo that refuses to probe my 3c589.

>     While not a great effort, this means that I have
>     to hold on to that extra floppy.  I would be
>     *much* happier if the PCMCIA stuffs would be
>     included as part of the FreeBSD distribution -
>     or at least the installation floppy - even if as
>     an "unsupported" subdirectory.  Incidentally,
>     I can also only run FreeBSD 2.1.0 or 2.1.5 as
>     installation floppies are only produced for the
>     most current official release.  This is why I
>     am not testing 2.2 via one of the snapshots.

I don't speak for the FreeBSD Project leadership here, but my thought is
that since the install disks lag behind the releases, it doesn't make much
sense to produce a 2.2 CD with a 2.1.5 PCCARD installer on it which won't
work on that distribution anyway.

>     Assuming that there would be room on a CD for it,
>     I don't see any reason not to include the install
>     floppy.  If there are reasons, I'd like to know
>     what they are (I did notice Hosokawa wasn't
>     listed as a contributor - is the package
>     non-free?).

We have enough problems with space on the boot floppy as is.