Date:      Sat, 20 Jun 1998 11:47:34 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Dave Bodenstab <imdave@mcs.net>
To:        freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        darrylo@sr.hp.com
Subject:   Equium 6200M successfull install

I have successfully installed the 5/20 snap on a dual-ppro
Toshiba Equium 6200m (pr440fx mb).  I had to upgrade the fw
on the Micropolis disks, but that's all.

Previously, Darryl Okahata <darrylo@sr.hp.com> had noted:

> * Unfortunately, Toshiba's link doesn't seem to mention some important
>   facts about adding a second processor.  See the PR440FX FAQ:
>
> 	http://developer.intel.com/design/motherbd/pr/pr_inst.htm
>
>   In particular, see:
>
> 	http://developer.intel.com/design/motherbd/pr/pr_inst.htm#1A
>
>   It appears that a BIOS upgrade may be necessary (one newer than that
>   available from Toshiba).

However, unless I haven't exercised the system enough, it seems to be
running OK... except I did get a complete lockup at the instant I
used 'Alt-F1' to switch vty's -- two ``make -j10''s were running at
the time.  Of course, I'd switched back and forth many times before.

Since I'm now new to SMP, a few questions:

1.  I got the BIOS upgrade from the intel support site, but when I
tried it, it gave me an error about a failure to initialize the flash
memory and the upgrade aborted.  Anyone have a clue about this?  Was
I about to screw up but was miraculously saved?  Considering that the
SMP kernel boots, is a BIOS upgrade likely necessary?

2.  I've just subscribed to freebsd-current, so I've obviously missed
anything from 5/20 on that might relate to the current snap.  Searching
the smp mail archives for ``freeze'' and/or ``lockup'' didn't get
anything that seemed applicable.  Is there a way to access the complete
smp mail archive from 5/20 on?

3.  Should problems be reported via send-pr or via this mailing list?

4.  X11 seems to work for me, but I thought I had seen a previous
message that there might be a problem.  Is there anything I need to
be aware of?

Dave Bodenstab
imdave@mcs.net