Date:      Thu, 09 May 2002 10:20:50 -0400
From:      "MikeM" <MyRaQ@mgm51.com>
To:        "Erik Trulsson" <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Steadily increasing memory usage on a lightly loaded server

On 5/9/02 at 4:07 PM Erik Trulsson wrote:

|[snip]
|Looks normal to me.
|
|The memory that is marked as 'Inactive' is also available for
|allocation just as the 'Free' memory.
|In practice you can just add together the 'Inactive' and the 'Free'
|memory to get the total of free memory.
|
|The 'Inactive' memory contains data that *can* be reused (such as the
|code for programs that has recently been run) but that can also be
|thrown away without further notice if necessary.
|

|I wouldn't worry about swap being used either. FreeBSD tends to write
|some things to swap before it is actually *necessary* to do it.
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Thanks to all the help from everyone, both on- and off-list.

I now understand the behavior to be normal.  What sent up the warning flare=
 for me was that I had not seen this behavior prior to the recent patches,=
 so I was concerned that I may have broken something.  ;-)

Thanks again for the phenomenal support!