Date:      Mon, 27 May 2002 19:44:55 -0400
From:      Jud <jud@myrealbox.com>
To:        "Boyan Nedkov" <bnedkov@home.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: onboard RAID controller (Asus A7V333)

On Mon, 27 May 2002 23:23:04 +0200
"Boyan Nedkov" <bnedkov@home.nl> wrote:

> Thanks for the hope, Jud :-)
> It's good to hear that at least one system works in that mode
> I checked again all the stuff but I didn't find anything wrong, so
> could you pls give me some more details about your hardware/bios
> configuration, like:
> - do you have any other HDD's installed
> - HDD's are connected to Promise ports, or ...
> - HDD's are master/master or one is master, the other is slave
> - FBSD is the only OS, or ...
> - are there any special bios settings ??
> - some other stuff I could miss ??
> Please fill free to send me a personal mail in case you think that
> issue could be boring for the list

Ah, they'll love this stuff on the list.  ;)

Setup: 2 IBM ATA100 40gb HDs connected to Promise ports,
master/master IIRC.  Other two ports are Pioneer ATA66 DVD-ROM as
primary master and IBM ATA66 20gb HD as secondary master.  Win2K
(first slice) and FreeBSD (second slice) each get half the RAID-0
array.  Win98 and QNX share the 20gb drive.

No special BIOS settings - just have the RAID array set as the second
boot option after floppy, and there's also another BIOS setting to
allow booting from the onboard SCSI/ATA device.  Do I assume correctly
you went into the Promise BIOS and set up your RAID-0 array, and that
you're told on bootup the array is functional?  There's a jumper to
enable/disable the RAID functionality, but (1) it's enabled by
default, and (2) if you've enabled the array in the Promise BIOS, then
the jumper's obviously in the right place.

You *are* doing the RAID in the Promise BIOS, not Windows "software
RAID," right?  How are you attempting to install 4.5?

Jud