Date:      Wed, 23 Jul 1997 13:15:47 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        "Chris G. Demetriou" <cgd@pa.dec.com>, dfr@nlsystems.com, alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Its arrived

Ok, here's the situation as best I know it.

First, folks, please note that the console and the PALcode are two
separate entities. Each console comes with its own PALcode, but
that does not mean that you have to use it for your OS.

The SRM console is the `command line' console used with Digital
Unix and VMS. That includes the VMS PALcode and the OSF PALcode.
(I mistakenly called the latter the DU PALcode; thanks for the
correction, Terry.) The ARC console contains the Windows NT PALcode.

Some systems, such as the AXPpci33, allow you to have only one
console installed at a time. Others, such as the Multia, allow you
to have both. You can also, if you really wish, replace the console
code with your own code, assuming you have enough details of the
machine hardware to do so.

On Wed, 23 Jul 1997, Terry Lambert wrote:

> This is not PAL code written by the Linux crowd; this is the DEC
> PAL code diskette that comes with the Multia that comes with Linux.
> It can't be sold for use with OSF, only with Linux.  That's why I've
> been calling it the Linux PAL code.
>
> Has the Linux crowd actually written PAL code?  That would be an insane
> thing for them to do...

Yes, they have their own PALcode. (I think it's Digital stuff, not
stuff they wrote themselves, but they do not use the OSF PALcode.)
Check out the sources for MILO (on gatekeeper under
/pub/DEC/linux/Miniloader, I think); these include PALcode for
various machines. You have to boot with a MILO compiled with the
correct PALcode for your system if it's going to work, of course.

I don't know what that disk is that you got, but I expect Linux
doesn't use the PALcode on it.

cjs

Curt Sampson    cjs@portal.ca	   Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.	   Through infinite myst, software reverberates