Date:      Sun, 8 Apr 2001 10:06:16 +0200
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@freebsd.org>
To:        Dr Andrew C Aitchison <A.C.Aitchison@dpmms.cam.ac.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org, xpert@xfree86.org
Subject:   Re: [Xpert]which pci 3d accelerator card to choose for XFree86-4

--GvXjxJ+pjyke8COw

On Sat, Apr 07, 2001 at 06:34:00PM +0100, Dr Andrew C Aitchison wrote:
> On Sat, 7 Apr 2001, Andreas Klemm wrote:
>=20
> > Hi !
> >=20
> > I'm looking for a fast *PCI* graphic adapter with 32 MB memory
> > for my old SMP machine which only has a PCI bus.
>=20
> The 3dLabs glint Oxygen VX1 that came with my SGI flat panel is PCI,
> and has 32MB memory. As well as the digital video connector, it has a
> standard VGA output, which I have verified works with XFree86.
>=20
> I haven't done any timing tests with it, but I believe that 3d
> acceleration is not yet supported, so you might not call it fast.

Thanks for information.
But I'd like to use chipsets from nVidia (i.e. GeForce 2) or 3Dfx.

Concerning hardware acceleration it seems to me, that its supported
with some chipsets, look what the driver status document tells=20
concerning glint driver and acceleration.

3Dlabs
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
3.3.6:
Support (including acceleration) for GLINT 500TX (with IBM RGB526
ramdac), GLINT MX plus Delta or Gamma (with IBM RGB526 and RGB640
ramdacs), Permedia with IBM RGB526 RAMDAC, and Permedia 2, 2a, 2v
is provided by the XF86_3DLabs server.

4.0.3:
Support (including acceleration) for Permedia, Permedia 2, 2v, (and
2a?), Permedia 3, GLINT 500TX, GLINT MX, GLINT Gamma, and GLINT
Delta coproc is provided by the "glint" driver.
The Permedia 3 is only supported in 4.0.3.

What XFree86 version do you exactly use ??
Maybe its worth an upgrade ?

	Andreas ///

--=20
Andreas Klemm - Powered by FreeBSD 4.2 SMP
Need a magic printfilter today ? -> http://www.apsfilter.org/

--GvXjxJ+pjyke8COw

--GvXjxJ+pjyke8COw--