Date:      25 Feb 2002 07:10:44 -0600
From:      abaugher@adams.net
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Network stalls with 4.5

"Jesse Geddis" <sgeine@yahoo.com> writes:

> unfortunately, he didn't specify whether the stalling was
> on an established connection or on the initial attempt.

Sorry, could have been more specific.  It's both.  Sometimes
initial connections fail; sometimes established connections
stall, from a few seconds to minutes.

> very little topographical information and whether or not
> tcp extensions are on.  usually symptoms of
> incorrect/non-existent PTR's are stalling of the initial
> request.  what was learned from traceroutes etc

Traceroutes show no network problems between the two
points.  Also, they have no problem when connecting to other
non-FreeBSD systems on the same localnet.  Kernel is
generic, except that IP_FIREWALL is turned on, but no
firewall rules are in place.  That was the case before the
problem started.

I'm now getting reports that the upgrade to 4.5-STABLE on
Friday may have fixed it, but I'm waiting on confirmation on
that.  I'll report here whatever happens.

Aaron
--
abaugher@esc.pike.il.us - Coatsburg, IL, USA
Extreme Systems Consulting - http://esc.pike.il.us/