Date:      Wed, 28 Feb 1996 12:08:29 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        "Amancio Hasty Jr." <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>, David Langford <root@dihelix.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Quake's out, where's that Linux ELF emulation?

> Actually, I think is very hard to sell the merit of games or entertainment
> to an OS and Unix centered group such as this. It used to be hard to sell

I don't think that anyone disputes the merit of games, Amancio.  And
back before we got too busy to do so, we were even known to play them
occasionally ("Alone in the dark" was a virtual 2 week obsession for
me back when it came out).  I'm still trying to get 3D toolkits and
such ported over here, and before Microsoft pulled the rug out from
under RenderMorphics I thought we were doing pretty well in that area
(Doug and I put a lot of effort into making that happen, too :-( ).

Like I said, one step at a time.  Nobody here has it in for you or for
games, Amancio, and if ID called me on the phone right now and said
"OK, we'll do Quake for FreeBSD but only if you do the work of porting
it." I'd be booking a flight on Ten Gallon Airways (so known because
they never land with more than that much fuel in the tanks - it
wouldn't be a challenge otherwise) right this very minute.  I'd love
to see a native version of Quake running, if only for the sheer PR
value alone.  But that's not likely to happen, and I've accepted this,
so I go on to other more potentially valuable endevours.

					Jordan