Date:      Sat, 26 Feb 2000 12:24:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      Nick Sayer <nsayer@sftw.com>
To:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   vmware build 438 -> 468, raw disks fail.

I tried to move up to build 468 (release candidate 1) of vmware
to see if it would get rid of some of the problems my office
machine is having. Doing so breaks raw disks. The log shows this:

Feb 26 12:19:15: RAWDISK: Linux's calculated capacity of /dev/hda is 16498755 se
ctors
RAWDISK: smaller than the actual size of the disk (16498755).
RAWDISK: /dev/hda will therefore likely not work completelRAWDISK: correctly as
a rawdisk with VMware.
Feb 26 12:19:15: Caught signal 11 -- pid 2068
Feb 26 12:19:15: Dumping core...

and the window disappears.

The same thing happens if you have a configured raw disk and attempt to
enter the configuration editor.

It is still the case that the linuxulator appears to get block and char
devices backwards. vmware complains that /dev/ad0 is not a raw device,
when it actually is. Either vmware really wants a block device and is fibbing
or the linuxulator is getting the two mixed up.

I will try a virtual disk when I get home to see if that works ok.