Date:      Mon, 23 Oct 2000 17:01:17 +1300 (NZDT)
From:      =?iso-8859-1?q?Graham=20Guttocks?= <graham_guttocks@yahoo.co.nz>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   new to freebsd: poor sound quality from CS4237B

Greetings,

I've just installed FreeBSD 4.1.1-stable on a new dell precision 610
workstation.  This PC has an integrated 16-bit Plug and Play Crystal 3D
(CS4237B) audio controller.

After compiling the sound support into my kernel, I gave some of my fav CDs
a listen with the same set of speakers I've been using on another system.  The
sound quality sounds rather poor, as if it is muffled slightly, and the range
of volume doesn't go as high as I'm used to.  In fact, my 2-year old Linux
notebook with a similar 16-bit audio chip (soundblaster) sounds considerably
better on the same speakers.

I'm new to freebsd, so I'm not sure whether the driver is poor, whether I
need to tune something, or whether my audio hardware is just bad.

I added the following line in my kernel config to enable to pcm driver:

device          pcm

It seems to show up fine, I'm just a bit dissapointed in the quality.

pcm0: <CS423x> at port 0x534-0x537,0x388-0x38b,0x220-0x22f irq 5 drq 1,0 on
isa0

Any suggestions?

Graham