Date:      Wed, 30 Dec 2020 08:19:24 -0800
From:      David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
Subject:   Re: git, $FreeBSD$ and mergemaster

--suevv0QSVtWAHhqG

On Wed, Dec 30, 2020 at 05:07:19PM +0100, Ulrich Sp=F6rlein wrote:
> >> However, wouldn't this mean that every run of "mergemaster" would
> >> prompt for local changes? The nice thing about using the $FreeBSD$
> >> tags was that if I approved a local-change, subsequent runs of
> >> mergemaster would not prompt me about the local-change unless the
> >> etc-file had been modified in the source tree.
> >>
> >> Cheers.
> >> --
> >> Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz>
> >
> >Indeed: the above-described behavior is what I have observed so far
> >since the transition (tracking head & stable/12 daily on two machines).
> >
> >I would go a bit further than stating that the prior behavior was
> >"nice."
>=20
> The only way forward is full git! Provide the /etc equivalent in a git=20
> branch or subdir, then check it out to /etc and handle local changes=20
> with git rebase or git merge.
>=20
> (I'm not even joking! :)

After more-or-less coping with the above, I switched from mergemaster to
etcupdate this morning.

That avoids the issue.

Perhaps src/UPDATING's "COMMON ITEMS"/"To rebuild everything and install
it on the current system." (et al.) might merit an update?  (It cites
"mergemaster," but not "etcupdate.")

Peace,
david
--=20
David H. Wolfskill                              david@catwhisker.org
While Trump successfully conned a lot of people for a while, in the
end he's just a failure throwing a temper tantrum because he lost.

See https://www.catwhisker.org/~david/publickey.gpg for my public key.

--suevv0QSVtWAHhqG

--suevv0QSVtWAHhqG--