Date:      Mon, 17 Nov 1997 07:58:39 +0100
From:      Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Which setuid's don't work?

According to Evan Champion:
> I tried a few different applications this afternoon, including perl5, and
> removed any hope of them using anything but seteuid() and they all worked
> just fine.

I think we do not use seteuid/setgid because we don't use POSIX saved uids
anymore (sysctl kern.saved_ids is 0).

> I turned on useshrplib because it doesn't seem useful to me to statically
> link against libperl if you're going to use a shared libc and co...

Be prepared to take a 20-25% performance hit with a shared libperl.
--
Ollivier ROBERT -=- FreeBSD: The Power to Serve! -=- roberto@keltia.freenix.fr
FreeBSD keltia.freenix.fr 3.0-CURRENT #49: Sat Nov 15 20:03:33 CET 1997