Date:      Tue, 7 Jul 1998 13:08:17 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Arnold B. Cavazos, Jr." <abcjr@southwind.net>
To:        Jon Zobrist <doug@bluesun.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems with Ascend Radius authentication

On Tue, 7 Jul 1998, Jon Zobrist wrote:

>I have a MAX 4002, and am running ascend-radius package off of the
>FreeBSD 2.2.6 CD, as well as running 2.2.6
>I have no problem authenticating users from the users file, but whenever
>I try a UNIX password, it won't login. I get a message in the log file
>that says CHAP Unix Attempt.
>Then some other info, like user name, time, client, etc. but it won't
>authenticate.
>I have the DEFAULT set to Password="UNIX" as well as one user with
>password="UNIX"
>Anyone else running similar configurations?
>Any help is appreciated...
>
>Thanks,
>Jon Zobrist

>with "unsubscribe freebsd-isp" in the body of the message

Jon,

This problem is independent of the operating system.

Here is the answer to your question...

Make sure that you have the following set on your MAX:

Ethernet->Answer->PPP options->Recv Auth=PAP

Here is the reason that this is necessary:
http://www.ascend.com/688.html

Arnold Cavazos, Jr.                    abcjr@southwind.net
SouthWind Internet Access, Inc.  ____ ___  ____  ___ ____
Dedicated Access Sales           |__| |__] |      |  |__/