Date:      Wed, 6 Feb 2002 17:20:33 -0800 (PST)
From:      Alex Baram <alex@xig.com>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   kern/34680: Kernel panics when checking-out a tree (disk activity)

>Number:         34680
>Category:       kern
>Synopsis:       Kernel panics when checking-out a tree (disk activity)
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
We are having problems with our SMP machine running FreeBSD
4.3-RELEASE.  The machine reboots when there is heavy disk activity.
The kernel panics and a msg is printed to the screen several times
after the kernel panic:

ahc0: Timeout SCB already complete.  Interrupts may not be
functioning.

Kernel panic:

Fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode.

fault virtual address = 0x70
fault code = supervisor read, page not present

instruction pointer = 0x8: 0xc01aece8
stack pointer = 0x10:0xc03831c4
frame pointer = 0x10:0xc03831e8
code segment = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
             = DPL0, pres 1, def32 1, gren 1

eflags       = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL=0

current process = Idle
irq mask = net tty bio cam
trap number = 12
panic: page fault

syncing disks...

Several users can be editing files on the machine.  Once someone tries
to check-out a cvs repository on this machine, it crashes.

The machine is running the generic kernel.

Hardware:

Dual PII-933
512MB ram
Adaptec 29160 U160 SCSI-3