Date:      Fri, 4 Jun 1999 21:30:02 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        masao@nf.enveng.titech.ac.jp (UEBAYASHI Masao)
Cc:        mavery@mail.otherwhen.com, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: First interview hits the web..

> We think it as usual that foreigners cannot speak in Japanese
> correctly. Japanese is too difficult to learn, even for us. :D

Formal written Japanese is hard (Kanji); kana less so.  Japanese
is not as hard as Russian, German, or Greek (IMO).  Written
Japanese has somewhat in excess of 30,000 Kanji characters.  A
Japanese University PhD is lucky to know 10,000-12,000 of these
after achieving their degree.  The average newspaper tends to
have 300-1200 different Kanji, depending on the target market.

I think the biggest barrier to an English speaker attempting to
learn Japanese is the lack of English text written in Japanese
word order.  After discovering that Japanese was SOV instead of
SVO (Subject Object Verb), the pace really picked up rather
quickly.  The SOV order of Japanese should be the first thing
anyone is told about the language in a Japanese class, IMO.

Someone needs to write a bunch of English text in SOV order so
that words don't need to be transliterated for the Japanese
equivalent.  This would definitely accelerate anyone trying
to learn Japanese.

The best resource I found for English with Japanese, both in
Japanese word order, is "Mangaijin" (A pun on "Magazine" and
"Gaijin": foreigner), which has things like "Dilbert", "The
Far Side", and "Calvin and Hobbes" translated into Japanese.
Unfortunately, it's no longer being published, after less than
100 issues.  8-(.

The next best source (IMO) is "Let's Learn Japanese!", which is
an NHK production of video tapes and workbooks.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.