Date:      Sun, 24 Mar 1996 11:35:08 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        uhclem@nemesis.lonestar.org (Frank Durda IV)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and MMX

> The MMX processor adds several new 64-bit registers to the system
> that are off in a corner, similar to the way the floating point
> registers and opcodes are handled.  There are new opcodes for gettings
> things in and out of the new registers, plus new opcodes that perform
> operations on the new registers.  (Again, this is real similar to how
> the floating point subsystem works.)  According to Intels WWW FAQ, they
> didn't have mess with the integer microcode much, thus lowering the risk
> of a compatibility flaw of some sort.
>
> The new operations are all geared to things found in graphics,
> compression, and other repetitive algorithms.  For example, it
> is possible to load eight 8-bit values into one of these new
> registers and perform eight adds simultaneously, without having the Carry
> bits roll over from one eight-bit value to the next.  There are
> also some codes to do max/min type functions to avoid signed rollover.

One question: soes this handle cache line byte addressing?

Specifically, is it possible to have a non-aligned src and destination
address on a copy and have it fixed up by the processor setting its
pointer into the cache line to save multiple fetch cycles per copy
unit?

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---