Date:      Thu, 07 Aug 2003 21:06:21 -0400
From:      Alden Louis-Pierre <alden.pierre@verizon.net>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Question about the ln command

Hello Everyone,

    I've just installed FreeBSD 4.8.  I must say installing FreeBSD is
fairly easy.  I've manage to dual boot with Win2K and FreeBSD.
I'm now in the process of trying to configuring my kernel and getting my
ports directory up to date via cvsup.  I've notice while
reading the FreeBSD HandBook 2nd Edition p.178 it was suggested  to copy
the kernel file to the root directory.  Configuring the kernel
seems to be straight forward.  The problem I have is the following:

*cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf
mkdir /root/kernels
cp GENERIC /root/kernels/MYKERNEL
ln -s /root/kernels/MYKERNEL*

I have a problem with the last command.  From my understanding and
reading through the man pages should it the *ln* command take in 3
paramaters
(*ln [option] [source] [dest]*) ?  Is it even possible to create a
symbolic link with so few parameters?