Date:      Mon, 19 Feb 2001 09:08:27 -0800
From:      "oldfart@gtonet" <oldfart@gtonet.net>
To:        "freebsd-current@FreeBSD. ORG" <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Do we need a 3. level between stable and cuurent?

-RELEASE, I thought, is for production. Although, it's true, -STABLE rarely
has a stop.

> Do we need a level in between for people who just run current for
> the fun of it and for testing.
> So after the hardcore has tested it in -current, they commit it
> to all the monkeys trying to break it, and we then try it on n^m'
> combinations of hardware/software.

Actually, I've always thought that's what -STABLE is for?

> I might not be able to fix a problem, but I can report what
> happens, and if my -current breaks for a few days, it is no big deal.
>
> While -current is not for everybody, I believe people like me
> helps in quality testing before the stuff hits -stable.

Actually, I've always thought that's what -STABLE is for? Deja-vu :)

> Perhaps not a level, just a separate file, which contained the
> date of the last known version without known major problems. (or
> "." if no known problems)

I think the current HEADS UP given on here is sufficient warning to
determine if a make world will build or if there are stops.

YMMV

OF