Date:      Thu, 15 Oct 1998 21:32:49 -0700
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        spork@super-g.com
Cc:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IBM DDRS-39130 drive

In article <Pine.BSF.4.00.9810151954350.4885-100000@super-g.inch.com>,
spork  <spork@super-g.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just a quick check on everyone's opinion of the IBM DDRS-39130 4G U/W
> drive.

I believe that model number is for the 9.1 GB drive.  The 4.5 GB drive
is DDRS-34560W.

I have three of the 34560W drives in a machine here, and they're
dynamite.  Check it out:

    vashon$ dd if=/dev/rda2 of=/dev/null bs=64k count=1000
    1000+0 records in
    1000+0 records out
    65536000 bytes transferred in 4.927831 secs (13299157 bytes/sec)

The drives are reasonably quiet and run cool.

When I received the drives, one of them had zillions of bad blocks.  I
had to exchange it under warranty.  However, I'm convinced that it had
gotten damaged during shipment.  (The vendor said he tested the system
before shipping it, and it was fine at that point.)  Since getting the
replacement drive, I haven't seen any anomalies with these drives at
all.

John