Date:      Sun, 7 Sep 2003 01:10:08 +0200
From:      Morten Rodal <morten@rodal.no>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        threads@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: libthr/libkse and Mozilla Firebird

--cNdxnHkX5QqsyA0e

On Sat, Sep 06, 2003 at 02:57:38PM -0700, Terry Lambert wrote:
> Morten Rodal wrote:
> > Is Mozilla Firebird (www/mozilla-firebird ; firebird-gtk2-0.6.1_1)
> > supposed to work with either libthr or libkse?
> >=20
> > While with libkse it works, for a little while.  After starting up I
> > can perhaps render half a page, sometimes a two or three pages, before
> > firebird just exits.  Nothing is printed on the console and no core
> > dump is found, it is as if the program just called exit(2).  I wish I
> > could provide more detailed debugging, but I am having trouble getting
> > firebird to run from within gdb..
>=20
> If you don't move the mouse until the page is finished loading,
> does it work?
>=20

I tried browsing without the mouse (kinda hard actually), but I was
still able to get it to "crash."

> If so, you need Daniel Eishen's patch to the scheduler to make it
> operate in FIFO order instead of priority order.  Historically, the
> image rendering code in Netscape hasn't been thread-safe, and it
> may be that Mozilla has inherited this infirmity.

Is there a performance impact on this patch?  As for the images, I
think you might be on to something there.  As it seems to be more
likely to crash on pages with many images.

--=20
Morten Rodal

--cNdxnHkX5QqsyA0e

--cNdxnHkX5QqsyA0e--