Date:      Fri, 14 Aug 2020 18:01:03 +0200
From:      Andrea Venturoli <ml@netfence.it>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Complete idiots guide to virtualize Android with bhyve

On 2020-08-05 09:13, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> it doesn't make sense to install an operating system that doesn't
> fit the users needs and then to emulate a mobile phone on that
> operating system, to run the required applications. That is the most
> worst mismanagement possible in the first place.

Well, I think there are situation in which virtualizing Android does
make sense.
I need a desktop system 99% of the time, but I have an Android app (*)
that I'd need to run occasionally.

(*) Not Zoom. It's an app that shouldn't probably exist in the first
place, but so it is.

> You are using an operating system not providing what you actually
> need,

No, I'm using an operating system which gives me 99% of what I need.

> so to workaround the wrong choice done in the first place, you
> consider to use a virtual machine, but not to run the most useful guest
> for your purpose, instead you consider to try the most freakish
> "solution".

No again.
Really.
Unfortunately that app is available for Android and iOS, so it's not a
matter of "freak".

> Why not running iOS or iPadOS as virtualbox guest?

Licensing issues, I guess.
Is it possible to run those OSes freely?

To come up with something costructive, I've never run Android on bhyve,
but I have on VirtualBox: performance is horrible, there are no guest
additions, but it works for an occasional use.

  bye
	av.