Date:      Tue, 28 Sep 1999 07:12:07 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Alex Charalabidis <alex@wnm.net>
To:        Langa Kentane <evablunted@earthling.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD <Freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: popper problem [newbie]

On Tue, 28 Sep 1999, Sheldon Hearn wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Sep 1999 10:18:56 +0200, "Langa Kentane" wrote:
>
> > May  9 18:43:04 ewok popper[4266]: (v2.53) Unable to get canonical name of
> > client, err = 60
>
> Without knowing what popper program you're using (Qualcom?), all I can
> tell you is that the program probably tried and failed to lookup the DNS
> PTR record for the connecting host's IP address.

Yes, this is qpopper and it's a PTR lookup failure. Langa, this question
is covered in the qpopper FAQ (http://www.eudora.com/free/servers.html).

> If valid client hosts don't have PTR records and you can't or don't want
> to add them, you should read the documentation for your popper to find a
> way to turn off DNS reverse-resolution.

Install the latest qpopper 3.0 beta and run it with -R. 2.53 doesn't
support this option. I've found 3.0b18 to be very stable and reliable. Or,
as Sheldon said, add PTR records for the offending addresses if they're in
your own address space.

-ac

--
Alex Charalabidis