Date:      Sat, 18 Jan 2003 15:28:05 -0600
From:      Jay Sern Liew <jay@sendtech.net>
To:        Scott Mitchell <scott.mitchell@mail.com>
Cc:        Jay Sern Liew <jay@americanhorizonsbank.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 5400RPM|7200RPM Cable bottleneck?

Quoting Scott Mitchell <scott.mitchell@mail.com>:

> If by 'cable' you mean a cable modem providing at best a few Mb/s
> bandwidth, then I doubt the speed of your disk will have any impact
> whatsoever.  Even the crappiest ATA disk will be able to deliver a few
> MB/s -- in the worst case that's still an order of magnitude more than you
> can stuff down your cable modem.

Yes, crappy cable modem connection, slow upstream. I figured that'd be the
bottleneck, but I just wanted to feel better by getting someone else's
confirmation. :p

> > 	Also, if the 5400RPM IDE HD was RAIDed, would that match an unRAIDed
> > 7200RPM IDE HD? Thanks in advance.
>
> Depends on what sort of RAID it is and what you're doing with it.

As for RAIDing, I'm thinking of striping it for speed. (as opposed to
mirroring it for redundancy.) But I guess it will still boil down to the WAN
throughput and the only difference it will make is when, like you said,
multiple users on the same LAN trying to access it. Thanks! Will post furthur
if I discover anything else.