Date:      Sun, 2 Apr 1995 10:35:06 -0400 (EDT)
From:      alex wetmore <alex@phred.org>
To:        nate@sneezy.sri.com
Cc:        alex@phred.org, gibbs@estienne.CS.Berkeley.EDU, aw2t+@andrew.cmu.edu, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 4 gig st15150n disk setups

> if ( Seattle == outdoorsy )
>    me->confused();
>
> I guess I'm a bit biased having spent time in the entire Pacific NW, and
> growing up in Montana.  Seattle is about as far from outdoorsy as
> anwhere in the NW I can think of (possibly Portland), but I will agree
> there are lots of diversions there.

Well, compared to philadelphia and pittsburgh it is incredible.  I probably
should have said western washington though...there is just a lot of cool
stuff nearby to hike...

> > I'd rather see Windows 95 go away, but NT has some nice design behind
> > it.
>
> Yes, it's called 'Not Invented Here'.  M$ does this the way they way
> they want to no matter what anyone else in the world does, and they call
> it new technology even if it's something everyone else has abandoned as
> too slow.

Well, maybe I'm biased here, but they seem to be doing fairly well with
NT at this point as a server system.  They comprimised some of the
protection normally found in a microkernel, but NT really isn't that
slow...

and NT doesn't stand for new technology anymore, so they don't go running
around saying they invented it all.

anyway, this discussion probably doesn't belong on here...

alex