Date:      Wed, 12 Jul 2000 15:54:46 +0800 (+0800)
From:      Michael Robinson <robinson@netrinsics.com>
To:        jkh@zippy.osd.bsdi.com, robinson@netrinsics.com
Cc:        Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP! Always use the 'make buildkernel' target to make yerkernels

"Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.osd.bsdi.com> writes:
>Once you add up his full benefit package (medical, dental, 401K,
>insurance, etc) and salary, it still takes another 1199 of you to pay
>for the rest of him just through buying CDs at full price, three times
>a year.
[...]
>To summarize, it counts, but not nearly enough to make it a meaningful
>answer to the quoted paragraph.  Without one hell of a lot of
>volunteers working very very hard, each and every open source project
>out there would sink tomorrow if it had to switch to CD revenues as
>the sole method of making technical, and many other forms of,
>progress.

Which is exactly as I thought, but there are three points I'd like to make,
the above notwithstanding:

1. The other 1199 new FreeBSD CD-ROM customers you need to get, are they more
   likely to be CVSUPping, mailing-list tracking, make-worlding-since-2.0.1
   experts, or are they likely to be complete newcomers to the FreeBSD
   experience?  Or, to put it another way, where are you planning to grow
   your market?

2. Pending market growth, there are limited commercial funds available for
   discretionary expeditures.  Priorities need to be set.  Is ensuring that
   the product documentation documents the product one of these priorities?
   If not, see point 1.

3. This particular problem does not require a high-skill, high-cost
   developer.  If you hired a moderately intelligent and responsible
   high-school student to clean up the handbook over summer vacation,
   once a year, with follow-up on weekends, it would be a significant
   improvement over the current situation and would set you back all of
   (3*120+9*16)*$10.00=$5,040/year, plus FICA, etc.  Now, you're down to
   a few hundred CD's to cover the cost.  There is a problem.  If you don't
   have an elegant hack handy, an ugly hack is better than no hack at all.

	-Michael Robinson