Date:      Wed, 9 Jun 1999 11:16:51 -0400
From:      "Cambria, Mike" <mcambria@lucent.com>
To:        "'isp@freebsd.org'" <isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Unregistered domain name for LAN?

Hi,

Do any cheat sheets, HOW-TO's, tutorials etc. exist on setting up
_unregistered_ domain name for a FreeBSD based network?

I access the Internet via my cable modem connected to FreeBSD 3.1 using DHCP
client.  This system runs ipfw & natd to allow other systems on the LAN as
well as dial-in pppd to get to the network.  My network uses unregistered IP
addresses internally.

I want to be able to start using names internally as well.  I do not want to
register a domain name.  (I've considered it but 1) I don't believe my cable
monopoly will let me do this, 2) Regardless, I don't want to wait until the
registration completes to start setting this up.)

Setting up a primary DNS server for my domain (referring all other domains
to the ISP name server) seems straight forward.  However, I'm sure there are
things I need to watch out for, consider etc. that I am not aware of.

Thanks,
MikeC