Date:      Thu, 17 Oct 1996 12:51:20 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      sos@freebsd.org
To:        proff@suburbia.net (Julian Assange)
Cc:        sos@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: high resolution text modes

> Success!
>
> I'm now running on a 100x30(16x9 font) 88hz modified FreeBSD syscons.c.
> I still have some issues to address vis automatically changing between
> resolutions on different VT's. Some video cards clocks require
> programming in particular ways. It would be nice if one could do a
> "register dump" of the current mode and save it in an array and later
> restore the values when the VT is again made active. I am not hopeful
> given the hardware dependent manner that many dot clocks are programmed
> in and the use of register extension portals. I suspect that any
> solution would approach the code size of SVGATextMode itself.  My
> intention is to remove per-vt resolutions entirely. They seem like
> creeping featurism to me and of little use - I noted a comment in the
> linux kernel code stating that the linux per-vt resolutions which were
> removed for similar reasons.

Erhm, You are not going to remove anything of that kind from
syscons if thats what you want. I'll provide you with a interface
for doing this if need be, but this will NOT go into syscons, or
I'll resign as its maintainer.

> Obtip: watch out for outb(x,y) in linux code. The XFREE/BSD world
> uses outb (y,x). Boy did I have fun with this one.

Hmm, then you should prepare for some of the REAL fun....

Soren Schmidt             (sos@FreeBSD.org)             FreeBSD Core Team
               So much code to hack -- so little time.