Date:      12 Jul 2003 21:26:19 -0400
From:      "J. Seth Henry" <jshamlet@comcast.net>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Cc:        ruler@darkpact.net
Subject:   Re: freebsd-hardware Digest, Vol 16, Issue 6

I've run into this same problem on my primary app/file server. (I have a
dual P3 with the ServerWorks chipset as well) So, I would be interested
in getting this to work as well.

Although Linux implements this stuff partly in the kernel; in theory,
you could write a userland app to read/write the data from the LM78
subsystem - if you knew where it was (which should be easy), what was
hooked up, and how it was hooked up. That's the rub on ServerWorks
boards. Apparently, they make you sign an NDA before they will give you
any details at all.

Also, FreeBSD has a lousy track record of supporting LM78 based hardware
in general. I have four systems, each with different LM78 monitoring
systems, and programs like healthd, etc. can't manage any of them. (they
include the file server, a fairly standard Abit P4 system, a VIA EPIA
system, and an old K6-2 system)