Date:      Sat, 25 Jan 2003 22:25:42 +1100
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Carl Makin <carl@stagecraft.cx>, freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: TV tuner in Australia

On Sat, Jan 25, 2003 at 06:55:23PM +0800, Greg Lehey wrote:
> On Friday, 24 January 2003 at  8:08:07 +1100, Sue Blake wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 10:05:10PM +1100, Carl Makin wrote:
> >> Hi Sue,

> >> Try putting
> >>
> >> options OVERRIDE_CARD=2
> >> options OVERRIDE_TUNER=5
> >> options BROOKTREE_SYSTEM_DEFAULT=BROOKTREE_PAL
> >>
> >> (try tuner = 10 if it has a FM radio in it as mine does)
> >>
> >> into your kernel config fine and rebuilding your kernel.
> >
> > Thanks. I've done that (TUNER=5 in my case), and now it reports PAL:
> >
> > bktr0: <BrookTree 878> mem 0xe8002000-0xe8002fff irq 11 at device 9.0 on pci0
> > bktr0: Detected a MSP3415G-B8 at 0x80
> > bktr0: Hauppauge WinCast/TV, Philips PAL tuner, msp3400c stereo.
> >
> > It's nice to have that sorted out. However I still have no sound at
> > all :-( And it's still in black and white. Any other ideas?
>
> Well, in a previous thread on another mailing list, you said you're
> using rabbit ears instead of a real antenna.  Do you have a TV?  Are
> you sure you have a strong enough signal for the colour decoder to
> work?

Yes that could be all there is to the colour problem. I had tried it
with the outdoor antenna as well, still getting black and white, but
then when I tried it late last night I got more colour and found
another channel.

There was a real TV here for a while, and it picked everything up,
never any problem with colour, though the picture quality wasn't good.
Its performance was only marginally better with the rabbit ears than
with the outdoor antenna. Maybe this tuner card is more finnicky than
a real TV, and that's one of the many things I need to find out.

Could the total absence of any sound whatsoever, not even those
horrible not-tuned-in noises, be related to reception too? It doesn't
appear so but I'm open to suggestion. Now I know I'm not the first
but the second person in Oz to try one of these cards, and that
the other person too had no sound at first.

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-