Date:      Wed, 11 Jul 2001 09:57:30 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jamie Bowden <ragnar@sysabend.org>
To:        Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, Rasputin <rara.rasputin@virgin.net>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Mall now BSDCentral

On Wed, 11 Jul 2001, Rahul Siddharthan wrote:

:Terry Lambert said on Jul 10, 2001 at 09:56:58:
:>
:> Also, you should be aware that in commercial deployment,
:> having a compiler on board the system is often considered
:> a bad thing, as it permits entre to exploiters bringing
:> their own programs onto the system.
:
:I've seen people disable compilers before, but I haven't understood
:how it helps.  You can compile elsewhere and bring the binary onto the
:system, can't you?  Unless the system is some extremely rare OS or
:doesn't ship with a compiler at all -- neither of which is true of
:FreeBSD.

It's a barrier to entry.  Not everyone has your FreeBSD release level at
home, or Solaris, Irix, AIX, HP/UX, etc. readily available to them.  With
FreeBSD (and Linux) it's easier to overcome, but it requires more effort
on the script kiddie contingent's part.  They're your most likely attacker
anyway, and anyone who really wants in isn't going to be derailed by
anything but inplugging the machine and turning it off.

Jamie Bowden

--
"It was half way to Rivendell when the drugs began to take hold"
Hunter S Tolkien "Fear and Loathing in Barad Dur"