Date:      Mon, 2 Sep 1996 16:53:29 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Jos Vissers <jvissers@telebyte.nl>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New routed

dennis wrote:
> You need to run routed (or gated) if you need to announce routes to
> other systems or if you need to learn routes dynamically
> from other systems. If you dont you dont need it.

We have several 2.1.5R machines and on a couple of Livingston portmasters.
On the machines without ip aliases an with ip forwarding off I don't need
routed and when I ping to one of the dial-up addresses it finds it
and creates an arp entry for it.

On the other machine I do need routed and when I ping it has the route
to the dial-up ip-address but no arp entry.
When I don't have routed running on those machines it want's to
send to the dial-up ip through link#1.

Jos