Date:      Thu, 24 Aug 2000 00:21:00 -0700
From:      Guy Harris <gharris@flashcom.net>
To:        Tom Duffey <cortex@execpc.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Update magic file

> The "file" command is unable to properly identify EPS binary files.  The
> following patch, taken from the magic file included in the Slackware Linux
> distribution, fixes the problem.

Picking up the latest version of "file" from

	ftp://ftp.astron.com/pub/file/file-3.32.tar.gz

(or a later version, if one comes out after my message arrives) will
also fix the problem, and probably add other improvements as well.

When last I picked up stuff from the FreeBSD "file" to merge into "file"
as maintained by Christos Zoulas at Astron (he's now maintaining the
"Ian Darwin" implementation of "file" that the BSDs and Linux
distributions have picked up), it was a bit of a pain as, if I remember
correctly, some files in the "Magdir" subdirectory of the source
directory for "file" had different names in FreeBSD and in Christos'
version.  If anybody updates "file" in FreeBSD, they might want to try
to minimize the differences between the file names, etc. (and send back
to Christos any patches from FreeBSD).