Date:      Thu, 13 May 1999 17:01:16 -0700
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@NUXI.com>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GENERIC 3.2-BETA kernel and printing

> > 'bpf' active in `GENERIC' for DHCP installs (when we get to it), is
> > another example of where what we need for installs may not be best in
> > `GENERIC'.
>
> No, having bpf in the install kernel and not in GENERIC would be
> extra-unsmart if we go to DHCP.

Wouldn't say "extra-unsmart" as you can try to give enough directions to
tell people they need to compile a new kernel immediately after the
install with BPF enabled.  I do acknowledge the support headache this
could lead to.

However, if BPF is enabled in GENERIC, I think we will take a lot of
heat... for the security implications.

Admittedly.. a hard problem.

--
-- David    (obrien@NUXI.com  -or-  obrien@FreeBSD.org)