Date:      Sat, 15 May 1999 22:49:01 +1000
From:      jonathan michaels <jon@caamora.com.au>
To:        chad@dcfinc.com, Philip Hallstrom <philip@adhesivemedia.com>
Cc:        jonc@pinnacle.co.nz, sos@freebsd.dk, danielh@privat.toplink.de, freebsd-database@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Apache/PHP/Oracle8...

chad & group

hello, please excuse my spelling, its cold tonight in my study
and the arthritis is particularly bad.

On Sat, May 15, 1999 at 02:07:02AM -0700, Chad R. Larson wrote:

> > No, generating a slightly different letter wouldn't be that hard.  Someone
> > would just have to write a bunch of slightly different letters.
> >
> > I'm thinking something like this:
> >
> > Set up a web site with a form that asks for your email and name
> > (anything else needed?), and then sends off the email.

> > - The email could be randomly selected from the pool of letters,
> > substiting your name and email, etc.
> > - The first email could be 1, the second, 2, etc... (sequential and
> > looping).
> > - Or, you fill the form out once, and then every week, or maybe two weeks,
> > or something insistent, but nice, an email gets sent out.
> >

> > Thoughts?
>
> I think that spamming Oracle is a poor way of trying to convince
> them that we deserve their attention.

agreed

> Collect a list of folks that want a native Oracle for FreeBSD, and what
> they would pay for a license under what circumstances.  Perhaps use your
> web site to gather the votes.  Let the sales guys build a business case
> to take to development.

i'd add one item to this. get all teh freebsd using companies,
isp's virtual hosting companies and "not for profit"
organisations get into build a prepurchase buisness
implementation schedule .. sort of like a buisness case but two
more steps are involved.

1, we have isolated this data management probelm(s)
2, build the buisness case
3, build a deploynent outline
4, (sweenter of oracle) build a suite of effectiveness
measurements so that it can be clearly shoum how much, faster,
better, more savings, etc etc et are to be made by using oracle.

stuff like this coming from big isps running freebsd with lots
of optentially good 'advertising' would have oracle breaking
thier fingers trying to type fast enough to get teh orcle or
freebsd ORDERS filled.

regards

jonathan