Date:      Mon, 24 Feb 1997 12:15:55 -0800 (PST)
From:      Vincent Poy <vince@mail.MCESTATE.COM>
To:        David Greenman <dg@root.com>
Cc:        "David O'Brien" <obrien@NUXI.com>, Charles Henrich <henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu>, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: new all-time traffic record on wcarchive

On Mon, 24 Feb 1997, David Greenman wrote:

> >Oh god!  You are actually getting packets from Sprint to cdrom.com????
> >Ever since the entire Northern part of the University of California
> >system went from BARNNet and CERFNet to Sprintlink, I haven't had
> >anything BUT extreamly high packets loses.  Sprint is *really* good about
> >bullshitting when the UC Office of the President opens a trouble ticket.
> >They never tell the truth what is wrong, and always flattly lie for the
> >first 12hrs of so of trouble.
> >
> >Die Sprintnet, Die!!!
>
>    Actually, I've had fairly good success with Sprint<->CRL. My own provider
> is multi-homed with one foot in Sprint, so my packets go through Sprint when
> connecting with cdrom.com. I wonder if your congestion problems are specific
> to UC Davis or perhaps Sprint's connectivity out of the Davis/Sacramento
> area?

	I can tell you that during October/November of 1996 as a UC
Berkeley student and a member of the US DoD Bay Area GigaBit Network
project, the way it works is that all northern UC Campuses: UCSF,
Berkeley, UC Santa Cruz, UC Davis and the Office of the President are all
connected to a PacBell 34MBps SMDS Cloud that goes to the one outgoing T3
Sprint connection from Berkeley's Evans Hall to Srpint's International Hub
in Stockton which is where the major congestion is coming from.  It
depends on the routing also since if it hits CRL from PB-NAP, then things
will be better than hitting Sprint from MAE-WEST.

Cheers,
Vince - vince@MCESTATE.COM - vince@GAIANET.NET           ________   __ ____
Unix Networking Operations - FreeBSD-Real Unix for Free / / / / |  / |[__  ]
GaiaNet Corporation - M & C Estate                     / / / /  | /  | __] ]
Beverly Hills, California USA 90210                   / / / / / |/ / | __] ]
HongKong Stars/Gravis UltraSound Mailing Lists Admin /_/_/_/_/|___/|_|[____]