Date:      Tue, 9 May 2000 12:22:41 +1000
From:      COLLINS Patrick <pc012@energex.com.au>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Problems with Serial Console and Swapinfo

I am running 4.0-RELEASE on a very standard desktop machine. It is
installed in a computer room and has no keyboard or mouse but does have
a video card but this is not connected to a monitor. I have a terminal
connected to sio0 and have a /boot.config file with the following single
line entry:

0:ad(0,a) kernel -P

When I boot with this configuration the serial console works correctly
but the command swapinfo returns:

swapinfo: undefined symbol: _numvnodes

and the command top returns:

top: nlist failed

If I remove the /boot.config file to disable the serial console the
commands swapinfo and top operate as expected.

Any help with this problem would be appreciated.

Patrick Collins
Network Computer Systems Officer
ENERGEX IT&T
mailto:pc012@energex.com.au
voice: +61 7 3407 4156
fax  : +61 7 3407 4607

This email message (and any accompanying file attachments) may contain confidential or
privileged information and is intended for the sole use of the addressee named above. If you
are not the intended recipient, or the person responsible for delivering this message to the
intended recipient, please notify ENERGEX immediately and destroy any copies of the original
message.

Any unauthorised review, use, alteration, disclosure or distribution of this email (including any
attachments) by an unintended recipient is prohibited.

ENERGEX accepts no responsibility for the content of any email which is sent by an employee
which is of a personal nature.