Date:      Fri, 21 Jul 95 11:19 CDT
From:      jonas@mcs.com (Lars Jonas Olsson)
To:        graichen@omega.physic.fu-berlin.de
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, ljo@po.cwru.edu
Subject:   new f2c

Hi,
 I would be happy to have the latest f2c integrated. I did the changes
so that f2c would be happy to be used from gcc (The compiler driver
for the compiler). You might also update the libF77/libI77 parts, but
the ones we have are pretty new (newer than f2c).

 You need to check that your version works with gcc -c -v file.f and
also gcc -c -pipe -v file.f (f2c needs to send output to stdout in
this case).

 I can not test it at the moment and we don't want to break it for the
next release so please test carefully! It would also be great to have
a man page for f77. The most frequently used FORTRAN compiler options
should also be tested, some FORTRAN compiler options conflict with gcc
options. I have tried tp avoid some of this in gcc.c.

 At some time we might eliminate f2c and use g77, but I doubt that
it will be for next release.

Jonas
(ljo@po.cwru.edu)