Date:      Fri, 17 Jul 1998 22:42:23 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Adrian Penisoara <ady@warpnet.ro>
To:        Adam McDougall <mcdougall@ameritech.net>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ppp problems

Hi,

On Thu, 16 Jul 1998, Adam McDougall wrote:

> Snob Art Genre wrote:
>
> > I'm having intermittent userland PPP problems with bleeding-edge
> > current. I've seen this before, but it just happened twice in ten
> > minutes, which is unusual.

 I don't know about you guys, but I have a problem like this with PPP
connections between FreeBSD 3.0-980520-SNAP and other FreeBSD machines
(2.2.5-RELEASE, 2.2.6-RELEASE and even 3.0971117-SNAP).
 Synopsys: suddenly (maybe) the ppp process starts logging lines like the
following in /var/log/ppp.log and the PPP connection remains in a "stale"
phase in which IP data packets _cannot_ be transferred but the low-level
PPP control packets (except CCP, see down) seem to work in both
directions (the connection doesn't time out).

--[ /var/log/ppp.log extract ]-------------------------------------------
Jul 12 21:45:56 ady ppp[6854]: tun2: Warning: CCP: Incorrect ResetAck (id
2, not 3) ignored

 And the messages keep rolling on until I either break the link (by
upluging the phone jack) or I restart the ppp daemon. Notice, I'm starting
the ppp process with 'ppp -ddial profile'...

 Is this what you see or is it another problem ?

> >  Ben
> >
> > "You have your mind on computers, it seems."
> >
>   Hmm, this morning I woke up to a dead link, from my mrtg graphs
> apparently it had been dead several hours, I just told it to close and
> -ddial took care of reconnecting. So I might be seeing the same thing as
> you.

 Thank you,
 Ady (@freebsd.ady.ro)