Date:      Fri, 6 Jun 2008 08:02:44 +1000
From:      Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@optushome.com.au>
To:        Paul Schmehl <pschmehl_lists_nada@tx.rr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: challenge: end of life for 6.2 is premature with buggy 6.3

--uCozLMBrA/OCc/kF

On 2008-Jun-05 10:33:18 -0500, Paul Schmehl <pschmehl_lists@tx.rr.com> wrot=
e:
>--On Thursday, June 05, 2008 18:39:07 +1000 Peter Jeremy=20
><peterjeremy@optushome.com.au> wrote:
>
>> On 2008-Jun-04 22:22:33 -0700, Jo Rhett <jrhett@netconsonance.com> wrote:
>>> And please stop with the loaded language.  I'm not asking anyone to work
>>> for me.  I am suggesting that it is perhaps too early to EoL 6.2 because
>>> 6.3 isn't ready yet.
>>=20
>> So you have stated.  When asked to provide evidence to backup that
>> statement, you have refused.  Since you are the one claiming that
>> "6.3 isn't ready yet", the onus is on you to put up or shut up.
>
>That is a blatant lie.

I take exception to being called a lier.  Please either explain which of
my above statements is false or apologise.

>  He has stated repeatedly that there are *known*=20
>bugs, complete with bug reports, that are not resolved and that affect the=
=20
>hardware he uses.  He has also stated that there is no need for him to=20
>provide further evidence of an already documented bug,

I agree that he has made those statements - and those statements may
even be true.  When asked to provide details of the bugs or references
to those problems, he has refused.  Random, unsubstantiated claims are
hardly evidence of anything.

I have checked back through this thread and the provided descriptions
of the problems that he believes affect him are (to quote him)
"gmirror failures, 3ware raid driver timeouts, bge0 problems".  Note
that he hasn't done any testing to verify that these problems actually
affect his hardware environment.  When asked to, he refused.
Likewise, he describes his systems as (again, quoting him) "Rackable
systems with 3ware controllers".  (I note that in another post, you
complain about a problem you are having - though you are able to
provide details of both the problem and your hardware/software
environment).

To summarise, so far the OP has made a series of unsubstantianted
claims about vaguely defined problems on vaguely defined hardware.
When asked for more details, he has refused.  Exactly what do you
expect the FreeBSD developers to do?

> yet he is willing to=20
>provide equipment with 6.3 RELEASE installed if any developer needs a=20
>platform to test and troubleshoot the bugs.

In the absence of any details about the problems he believes he has,
such an offer is meaningless.  Reading his actual posting, it reads
more like "who would like to do my QA/validation for me and fix any
bugs they find for free".  In general, the underlying problem is lack
of developer resources, rather than lack of hardware.

>What is the purpose of the insults and denigration?

I fail to see where I have insulted or denigrated anyone.  OTOH, your
first words to me were an insult.

--=20
Peter Jeremy

--uCozLMBrA/OCc/kF