Date:      Mon, 19 May 1997 15:09:02 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@blueberry.co.uk>
To:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   DocBook, multiple files, and links

How do,

I'm a bit of a DocBook neophyte, learning by example and by working my
way through the information at http://www.ora.com/davenport/. So far,
things are going fairly well.

However, one thing's got me stumped so far. I'm trying to put together
some documentation about e-mail, and how it's handled. So far, I've
subdivided the topic into several ``books'', one for sendmail, one for
procmail, one for Majordomo, and so on.

Each of these books has several chapters. I can produce HTML files from
these books with no problems.

However, now I want to include links from one book to another. The
procmail book should include links back to some of the chapters in the
sendmail book, and so on.

The question is, how do I do this properly?

I could use the <ulink ...> tag. But I'm then hardcoding some URLs into
the DocBook file that I don't really want to do. If I use <xref ...>
(which I think I should be) it doesn't handle xrefs to documents that
are held in a different file.

If I try and merge these books together into one big file then I get one
big HTML file, not what I want either.

I'm using sgmls and instant, as documented at

     http://fallout.campusview.indiana.edu/~jfieber/docbook/markupguide.html

I guess I'm missing something obvious, but I can't see what.

Any and all suggestions gratefully received.

--+=[ Blueberry Hill                  Blueberry New Media                ]=+--
--+=[ http://www.blueberry.co.uk/     1/9 Chelsea Harbour Design Centre, ]=+--
--+=[ WebMaster@blueberry.co.uk       London, England, SW10 0XE          ]=+--
--+=[       Those who do not read Dilbert are doomed to repeat it        ]ENTP