Date:      Fri, 21 Jul 1995 09:20:56 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        gja@ansley.com (Greg Ansley)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Intel motherboards OK???

> I seem to recall reports of problems with Intel Premier Series motherboards.
> Are these boards usable with FreeBSD or was their some fatal flaw that
> caused them not to work. (These motherboard are one possible choice for
> a project I'm working on).

Just noted you said ``Intel Premier Series'', now do you mean the
Premier I (aka Batman), Premier II (aka Plato), or Premier III (aka Zappa,
Morison, Alladin, or Endavor).

Below I am addressing the Premier II/Plato card issues.

They well work to run FreeBSD on, you just have to be very carefull
about configurations.  I can easily build single user machines with
them with 1 scsi controller on PCI (aha2940 would be your best bet
here, do not attempt to get a bt946 to work in these MB, it is painful).

Make sure you get the specified tin simms.  And don't try to run a 100Mhz
CPU in them, that does cause cache failures in many cases.

Watch out trying to run large amounts of memory and use only single density
simms with 24 or less chips on them (infact as bad as this board seems stay
with 9 chip simms if at all possible.)

If you can simply avoid this board, it is a painful one to get to run
reliably.