Date:      Fri, 13 Mar 1998 13:56:43 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>, Zoltan Sebestyen <szoli@cs.elte.hu>
Subject:   Re: A Question about FreeBSD and Linux(programming)

On Thu, 12 March 1998 at 20:44:46 -0600, David Kelly wrote:
> Zoltan Sebestyen writes:
>> Hi,
>>
>>  I have to write an application on Linux that deals with the serial port.
>> I have installed a Redhat besides the FreeBSD(I didn't erase FBSD it'll
>> stay there until the end of the world), but finally gave up to use it.
>> Does anyone(for example Doug White ;-) know if the termio functions (like
>> tcgetattr tcsetattr tcflush tcdrain) behave on FBSD like on Linux?

These should be termios (POSIX.1), not termio (System V).  I'm pretty
sure that Linux adheres to them.  You may find minor differences in
the handling of the control characters and the mapping of the timeout
and delay parameters to the control characters.

> I don't see a specific mention of FreeBSD or Linux in Greg Lehey's book,
> "Porting Unix Software" but chapter 15, "Terminal Drivers", pages 269
> thru 306 should prove interesting reading.

FreeBSD was in its infancy when I wrote that book.  It's mentioned in
passing along with the other BSD derivatives on page 7.  Linux is
mentioned in a number of places where it diverges from UNIX.

FreeBSD doesn't really need much mention in this book: the book mainly
compares the BSD and System V approaches, and apart from the fact that
BSD has since acquired some System Visms (such as poll () and the
Three Ugly Sisters), you can assume that FreeBSD is the protoypical
BSD described in the book.

Greg